Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Reflections of God's Faithfulness

I wrote these words over a year ago.  This was the Streller Family Support Page post on Facebook from August 26, 2013.  As I re-read it today...I can unashamedly say it still rings true.  Oh how faithful our God really is!!! 

Today, I sat across from the social worker who is helping guide us through hospice care, etc. and she asked me “THE QUESTION”…..

I am often asked how am I doing “this”. 

How am I so strong? 

How am I facing this situation with such bravery?

I answered from my heart, “It is simply God.” 

I am going to be honest with you; I don’t really “get” the question….. 

This season of my life has been tough. There have been and will be tears. There has been and will be confusion and frustration. There is a tremendous amount of weakness in me. 

But there has never been, nor will there ever be, any doubt that my God is faithful. MY GOD IS FAITHFUL! Like the Kerrie Roberts song “No Matter What” declares, He can find a way to keep me from the pain but if not, I’ll trust Him. I guess that sums up my answer.

I TRUST my Savior. 

I know any strength that others think they are seeing in me is actually our God manifesting Himself and showing His mighty, sustaining power. For that, I am grateful. For His power is made perfect through my weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9). What you are seeing is His Word coming to life before our very eyes. It is His goodness shining from within me. 

By now, you know how much I love music, so let me borrow more lyrics. This time from Josh Wilson’s “Fall Apart”….
“Cause my whole world is caving in
But I feel You now more than I did then
How can I come to the end of me
And somehow still have all I need
God, I want to know You more
Maybe this is how it starts
I find You when I fall apart.” 

I have a relationship with the King of Kings and the Lamb of God. It is real. My love affair with my Savior began over 28 years ago. He is constant. He is the “giver of endurance and encouragement” (Romans 15:5). He promises the weary and burdened Lori that He will give me rest (Matthew 11:28). 

I was also able to expand on my answer to the social worker by adding that I have had the privilege of having a great marriage for 18+ years. This man lying in that hospital bed is AMAZING. His spiritual gift is service and he has served me and our family so beautifully. He has been more of a father to our children in these 12-14 years than many of my grown adult friends have ever experienced in their own parental relationships of 40 or more years. Of course, this situation stinks. I would never have chosen this as our story, we are far from perfect, but it has been a great marriage and we have a true love and a deep connection that will carry me through the rest of my days. I will miss this man with every single fiber of my being while I remain on this earth. 

But I choose to not dwell on that right now, because Tim isn’t gone yet! He is here and we are still living life together and loving each other selflessly. We are still studying God’s Word together and learning and growing in our relationships with Christ and with each other.

So, how am I doing “this”? 

I am not. MY FAITHFUL GOD IS! 

“I consider that our present sufferings are not worthy comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” – Romans 8:18

~Lori


No comments:

Post a Comment