Saturday, June 21, 2014

Intentional Gratitude


It’s easy to entertain thoughts of “why me?” when we feel as though life has slapped us around lately.  Our natural human tendency is to settle into a pity party. 

Sometimes we do more than just settle there; we go all out with decorating and sending out invitations!  Can you just imagine what your invitation would say? 

Please join me in my “whoa is me”, “my life is not what I dreamed it to be” party.

It looks totally silly written out in black and white, but we all have gone there at times.  I know I have.

I shared recently that I am choosing gratitude.  No really, I am CHOOSING gratitude. 
  • ·        When I am weary of being the only adult in this home, I choose to thank God for the blessing of my children.  (They are phenomenal human beings and I enjoy them immensely!)
  • ·        When I am feeling like there are not enough hours in the day to accomplish my work (both my “real job” that pays our bills and my volunteer ministry work), I choose to praise God that I have a flexible career where I can care for my children in our home and adequately provide for us; I praise Him for the widow ministry He has orchestrated my participation in.
  • ·        When I look around my house and see stuff scattered and in a bit of disarray (I’m an OCD girl by nature), I slow down and choose to thank God for each item that needs to be returned to its rightful place.  Honestly, I am learning that not everything has to be in its place at all times.  (This is HUGE, people.  I am a work-in-progress!)


I want to be intentional with my gratitude.  I have learned at far too young of an age that life can be shorter than we expect or dream.  I don’t want to waste my time on pity parties when I have real celebrations to experience.

Let’s all purpose this next week to slow down a bit, take our focus off of our own woes, and intentionally look for our blessings, because,

“we often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.”

I don’t want to take anything for granted in this short life. 
I want to live well and love fiercely. 
I want to be sold out for Jesus! 


I think this starts with a grateful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment